Hydrating your body is very important regardless if you exercise or not. Whatever you do make sure that you avoid dehydration because it can seriously have negative effects on your body. It’s known that except oxygen, the body doesn’t need anything else besides water. One of the most important things in life is to drink as much water as the body needs because this way you will remain healthy. You should note that people have different needs. You may need a lot of water to hydrate your body whereas someone else could need much less. This all depends on how much one sweats, the amount of energy they use and the climate so you should never compare yourself to anyone else regardless the situation.
The health authorities in America have suggested that a healthy person that does not sweat excessively should drink around 2 litres per day. You may have heard that some health gurus have suggested that you should sip on water throughout the day even if you are not thirsty. Furthermore, some studies have suggested that by drinking water you can increase your metabolism and even reduce appetite. Here are some tips you can use in order to help your body to lose weight:
- Drink cold water because your body will burn few calories by heating up the water to your body temperature.
- If you drink a glass of cold water 30 minutes before your meal you will notice that your appetite will reduce and thus, you will eat less.
- By drinking water before exercising you are guaranteed to lose some weight
This is where it gets tricky because it all depends on the intensity of the workout and the duration of it. If you are a man you may be aware that you simply need more water even though you are doing a low-intensity workout for the same duration as a woman. As well as, if you have a high BMI you will also need to drink more water regardless of the intensity or duration. Here is a simple guideline:
- If the intensity is low for 30 minutes you should drink around 14 oz. If it’s 60 minutes you should drink 24 oz and if it’s 90 minutes you should drink 37 oz.
- If the intensity is medium for 30 minutes you should drink 14 oz. If it’s 60 minutes you should drink 30 oz and if it’s 90 minutes you should drink 44 oz.
- If the intensity is high for 30 minutes you should drink 17 oz. If it’s 60 minutes you should drink 34 oz and if it’s 90 minutes you should drink 54 oz.
- If the intensity is low for 30 minutes you should drink around 10 oz. If it’s 60 minutes you should drink 24 oz and if it’s 90 minutes you should drink 34 oz.
- If the intensity is medium for 30 minutes you should drink 14 oz. If it’s 60 minutes you should drink 27 oz and if it’s 90 minutes you should drink 44 oz.
- If the intensity is high for 30 minutes you should drink 17 oz. If it’s 60 minutes you should drink 34 oz and if it’s 90 minutes you should drink 51 oz.
You shouldn’t pay attention to the sports drink commercials because most want your money or they are simply full of sugars which will definitely set you back with muscle growth. As well as, you shouldn’t spend money every day for a new bottle of water because it all adds up and you could be spending more money on water than your gym membership. We definitely do not advise you that you drink the water from the fountains at the gym because they can be extremely dirty and the water can be full of bacteria as it does not come from a natural power source. Instead, we strongly recommend that you buy a water filter which you can install in your house at a small price and you drink your own filtered water from home. This way you are making sure that you’re hydrating your body properly and that the water you are drinking is safe.
When you are done with your exercising, you should drink around 16 oz. within 30 minutes after you finish. Drinking water after is the most important thing as you lose a lot of water during and without an adequate amount of water supply your muscles may cramp. You will also feel dizzy and fatigue if you do not hydrate properly after. If you remain properly hydrate you will notice that you will feel stronger and more powerful so you will be capable of doing a lot more exercises.